At that time about three hundred Jews lived in the city, and the number of seats in their new synagogue was approximately the same. A month after the Nazi occupation of Trutnov, on 8 October, 1938 the synagogue was burnt down and destroyed by the local division of Henlein’s Party, so only the remains of the foundation walls were preserved.
On this very day, the same fate befell the 1870 local Jewish cemetery dating, which was located on the western hillside of Šibeník Hill. Today, the area of the then synagogue is protected as a sacred place.
Foto: Miloš Šálek